Hello my friends, some interest was shown in the recipe for turmeric rice I cooked a few days ago. I added turmeric and cumin seeds as I love the flavor of cumin seeds.
So here goes,
1 cup rice (I like Jasmine)
1 1/2 cups water or stock of your choice
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 can drained chickpeas
1/2 cup mixed vegetables, if you like
2 large cloves of garlic chopped
1 onion chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
salt, and pepper to taste
Turmeric and cumin seasoned rice.
- Add oil to skillet and heat.
- Place onions and garlic to cook, once softened add cumin seeds to bloom (1 minute).
- Add 1 teaspoon turmeric to cook, stirring constantly (do not allow to burn).
- Add celery, salt, pepper, etc and any meat of your choice to sear at this time.
- Finally add rice, stirring to allow to coat with seasonings and to fry for another minute.
- Next add any other desired seasonings and your water or stock to pot.
- Check flavor and allow rice to cook 2/3 way through.
- Add chickpeas.
- Lower flame and cover to allow rice to be complete cooking.
- Serve according to your liking.
Once rice has completely cooked and is still warm I added the bits of bacon and my spring onions.
The cumin seeds provide another dimension of flavor, when you bite the seeds they add beautiful texture as well as taste.
I hope you like it.
I hope you enjoy!