Back in early April before our lives got turned upside down. My Gee was always the chef du jour, and not for just that day either.
We were home deciding what to cook for dinner and finally settled on was Gee’s Beer Battered Chicken. In our current climate we are trying to raid the refrigerator and the freezer and come up with innovative ways to eat what was already in the home. So here is Gee’s twist on things.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 beer or seltzer water
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- Sazon seasoning (gives color & flavor)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Mix all dry ingredients together, you may use a whisk.
- Add the beer or seltzer water (your preference) to the dry mixture
- Gently fold beer / seltzer into the dry mixture (do not beat the mixture, you want to keep the bubbles)
- Mix gently for smooth consistency
Clean, wash and prep chicken breasts, pat dry with paper towel and place in a bowl. Slice the thickness of chicken breast in half. Add seasonings to your taste. You may allow to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Dredge seasoned chicken into dry mixture containing salt, pepper, 3 tbsps flour, 3 tbsps corn starch.
- Gently shake off excess dry ingredients and immerse in batter, gently shake off excess.
- Use medium sized frying pan and 1/2 of oil to heat.
- Slowly lower chicken 2/3rd moving chicken gently back and forth in hot oil but not allowing it to stick to bottom until it is cooked enough to float.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides
- Place on a cooling rack
You may enjoy with fries, a salad, as a sandwich, with rice and vegetables or any other way you choose.
Bon appetit! & God bless!